Yes, waste analysis and statistics from Optibag’s sorting plants show that municipalities with optical sorting already reach the environmental goals.

Eskilstuna Strängnäs Energi & Miljö (ESEM) performed a waste analysis in 2017 for their optical sorting plant. The results showed that 70 % of all total waste was separated for recycling using optical sorting with coloured bags. The remaining 30 % of the total waste was energy recovered.

The analysis also showed that 80 % of the total food waste was collected and sorted in green bags, which is far above the national target. Purity of the sorted food waste was measured to 97 % which is also a very good result.

In total 28 % of the residual waste was packaging materials, which shows that optical sorting is one of the best systems on the market for source separation.